Sunday, June 27, 2010

Weekend of Sloth

The wife was away this weekend, which meant NO PANTS. Um, sorry. It meant I could play games all weekend without feeling guilt or shame, and let me tell you - I AM NOT YET SATED.

A quick recap:

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
I rented this a long time ago, hated it, sent it back. Figured that was the end of it. But: my wife is the biggest Star Wars nerd I know, and when she saw an E3 preview of the sequel, she was like: dude, you need to play that. And play the first one again, so we know what happened. So I did. Turns out that it still sucks. Well, no - it's just janky as all fuck. The story is interesting - the ending is pretty gigantic, when you think about the canon - but the actual gameplay is repetitive, the controls are unresponsive, and most of my player deaths felt awfully cheap.

Puzzle Quest 2 (DS)
It took a little while to grow on me, but I'm definitely on board for this sequel. That said, it's awfully sluggish - at least it feels that way for someone who plays a shitload of Bejeweled Blitz on Facebook. The RPG elements are still neat but the menus are hideous - there are far too many button presses to see what you have equipped, for example. There's a few other things that it could steal from Facebook - it would be nice to get credit for linking up corners, the way you can on BB. In any event, it will replace the puzzle void left by the excellent Picross 3D, which I did end up finishing 100%.

Split/Second
My goodness. When I had to choose between S/S and Blur, I chose Blur, and I chose wrong. I've spent the bulk of the weekend finishing the single-player season, and it's amazing. I'm hoping that my friends who have it will continue to play it - it ought to be incredible online.

No comments: