Saturday, January 26, 2008

The Want List for 2008

Taking a break from Burnout Paradise. I'm 9 wins away from my Class A license, but mostly right now I'm concentrating on "discovering" everything:
  • I need to find one more gas station
  • I need to find one last race event - not quite sure how I missed it
  • I've got 360 of 400 smash-thru things
  • at least half of the super-jumps
  • I've found at least 2/3 of the billboards
  • etc.
This is as good a time as any, then, to contemplate what's on the agenda for 2008. I've been listening to all manner of game-related podcasts lately, and they all seem to be asking the same question.

Off the top of my head, my main must-have titles for 2008 are, in the order that they occur to me:
  • Burnout Paradise
  • GTA 4
  • Mercenaries 2
  • Fallout 3 (and if this actually comes out in 2008, I'll be stunned)
  • Star Wars: Force Unleashed (which I didn't start to get frighteningly excited for until I saw the latest tech video)
And then there's also a bunch of stuff I've got lined up for my Gamefly Queue:
  • Lost Odyssey
  • The Club
  • Bully: Scholarship Edition
  • Condemned 2
  • Lego Indiana Jones
  • Splinter Cell: Conviction (I'm a big fan of the SC series, but I'm a little nervous about this one)
  • Too Human
  • Midnight Club: Los Angeles
  • Ghostbusters (keeping fingers crossed that this doesn't completely suck)
  • MLB2K8 (the last 2 editions have been dreadfully disappointing, and yet I keep coming back; I am so very weak.)
And there's also titles that I would dearly love to play this year, but am doubtful that they'll see release before 2009:
  • Brutal Legend (remember, Psychonauts was delayed for about 2-3 years)
  • Fable 2
  • Ninja Gaiden 2 (well, maybe this will see release in 2008; I guess we'll know more at E3)
Now, these are all 360 titles. I will eventually be getting a PS3, if only for the BluRay; I'd certainly like to buy a Wii, but as I've said before, right now it's easier for me to procure illegal drugs than it is for me to buy a Wii at retail price. (To wit: besides eBay and Craigslist, there is a shady electronics store near my apartment that does have Wiis in stock; they're asking $500. In cash.)

But since I don't actually own those consoles yet, I've not really been following their release calendars with any genuine interest. To be fair, though: any PS3 game I buy would strictly be a PS3 exclusive, and to be perfectly honest, I really don't give a shit about Final Fantasy 13 (13!!!) or Metal Gear Solid 4. I guess I do care about LittleBigPlanet, but not to the tune of $500+, and my curiousity about Home is more of the morbid variety than anything else.

1 comment:

Corey Chaplan said...

Bully is pretty good if you haven't played it yet.

The only reason I even feel a need to purchase a PS3 right now is Heavy Rain. It's the only game that I have this undieing desire to play.

Everything else is just icing on the cake(lie).