Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Dusting off the cobwebs, is this thing still on, etc.

It's times like these when I'm glad that I'm not a professional games journalist. The release schedule is all but dead; most developers are saving their announcements for E3 so there's very little in the way of interesting water-cooler talk; and the 3 games I've been playing the most lately are:
  1. Uno Rush
  2. Outrun Online Arcade
  3. Lode Runner
Granted, I downloaded Lode Runner this morning and I've only played it for about 5 minutes, but even so, that should give you some indication of why I haven't been posting all that much lately.

I was debating putting up a Release Calendar post, but then I looked over my Gamefly queue and got a little depressed. 2007 and 2008 were absurdly good years in terms of both quality and quantity, and right now 2009 looks pretty dry in comparison. Most of the AAA titles currently in development that I'm really looking forward to are probably not going to be released this year, and as such there's not a whole lot to get excited about (aside from Brutal Legend).

I will say this - I recently dusted off my Wii and gave House of the Dead: Overkill a spin, and while my wrist got tired after a while, that game is pretty goddamned hilarious; they've put a super-Grindhouse spin on the presentation/dialogue/story and it makes for a much more engaging experience than I was expecting. Considering how long it's been since I played a Wii title that didn't involve bowling, I must admit I was pleasantly surprised. My wife and I will probably go a few more rounds with it, and then send it back from whence it came.

No comments: