Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Fable 2 Wrap-Up

I finished Fable 2 last night. I'm not done with it, necessarily; there are still a few side quests I'd like to finish and some Achievements I'd like to pick up, but I finished the story and for all intents and purposes I am the ultimate goody-goody badass I'd set out to be. (In addition to my blue glow, I also seem to be covered in tiny flies, which is odd since I don't recall getting my character that dirty.)

It's a fun game but it's marred by some technical problems that never stopped being annoying, and the story turns out to be more generic and bland than I'd feared. The game is also pretty easy, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but I probably would've enjoyed a bit more challenge. I was able to buy what appear to be the most powerful weapons in the game pretty early on, and so I pretty much mowed through everything without too much trouble.

The game is most certainly NOT revolutionary, regardless of what Peter Molyneux says. Almost every game worth its salt features moral choices these days, and many of them look prettier and load less frequently. I did not fall in love with my dog, as much as I wanted to; in fact, the dog started to get annoying. I'd gotten my dog to be a level 5 treasure hunter, and so I wouldn't be able to move more than 10 feet without my dog barking about something stupid in the other direction. Certainly I would feel bad after a big fight when my dog would be whimpering and limping, but - again - the technical problems in the game would make it difficult for the controller to register that I was hitting the button to heal my dog, and so it became a bit of a pain in the ass: "Hey, dog, I'm healing you! You're right in front of me and I'm healing you and it's NOT WORKING."

I'm glad it's out of the way, at the very least; I'm still a little intimidated by Fallout 3 but I'd like to get back into Saints Row a little bit more before Gears drops on Friday.

No comments: