Monday, March 23, 2009

Be Sure to Drink Your Ovaltine

The small part of my soul that is not yet tainted by cynicism is somewhat a-flutter this morning, now that I've read this official PSBlog post revealing the launch of an ARG for Home.

Of course, the problem here is that the most successful and engaging ARGs don't come right out and tell you that they're ARGs; the idea is that you discover them without knowing you're looking for them. I've only really been invested in 2 of them, but they're the ones you've heard of: the A.I. game, and the I Love Bees game; both times I happened to stumble across them, and both times I got totally sucked in, even if I didn't actually go out and do any field work. It's true that I knew that it was just advertising, but it was advertising that was actually more interesting than the product it was selling. (Did I just say that I Love Bees was more absorbing than Halo 2?)

The other problem, of course, is that I haven't used Home - or, indeed, even thought about it - since my initial, less than thrilling experience with the beta a bazillion years ago.

But here's the thing - if I were using Home, and I happened to stumble across this strange grafitti, and then crazy things started happening, I'd totally love it.

I might just fire up the ol' PS3 tonight and check it out. I just hope I don't end up totally hating myself as a result.

No comments: