Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Picross 3D

I'm trying to remember the last time I was heavily invested in my Nintendo DS. The last game I played on it was probably the most recent Zelda game, which I didn't particularly care for. In any event, in less than 12 hours I have become totally addicted to Picross 3D, which is somewhat of a surprise for me since I never particularly cared for the 2D iteration.

It hits all the right notes, for one thing. It's a puzzle game, which means it can be played on the go, in short bursts, with the sound off. And it uses the stylus and touch screen about as well as you could ask for. (The only way it could be cooler is if there was a version that came with Project Natal, which you could manipulate a la Minority Report, but that wouldn't necessarily make it better.)

In a way, on a total base level, it feels a bit like sculpture; you chip away at a lifeless mass of cubes until a shape is revealed within. Of course, it can be hard to tell just what the hell the final shape is supposed to be. Just a few minutes ago, in fact, I finished a puzzle and the solution was revealed to be a Clione.

I had absolutely no idea what the hell a clione was, and when I googled it, I wasn't necessarily convinced that what the game presented had anything in common with what it actually is. But that's OK; it's a logic puzzle, it's not something that requires 1080p graphics.

No comments: