Thursday, April 3, 2008

PSP'd!

So I couldn't contain myself any longer; on my lunch hour today, I went to the Best Buy over on 5th Avenue and bought:
  • PSP slim
  • 2gb memory stick
  • Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
  • God of War: Chains of Olympus
  • MLB08
  • GTA: Liberty City Stories
  • GTA: Vice City Stories
Total: $400.13. It's burning a hole in my bag; all I want to do is rip open the box and start playing, but I know that as soon as I do, I'll start getting super-busy at work, and in any event, I didn't buy any sort of carrying case, and I don't really want to have it just sitting loose in my bag.

That said. This is a watershed moment: this is my first piece of Sony-manufactured gaming equipment that I've ever purchased. I played a lot of PS1 at my buddy Jongre's apartment back in my post-college years (mostly the Oddworld games, with some Crash Bandicoot here and there), but never owned one myself; I bought a Dreamcast instead of a PS2, and then bought an Xbox; I had a Gameboy and then a DS, which covered my handheld needs, and I'm still holding off on a PS3 until later this year.

The PSP, though... it's strange. I've wanted one ever since they announced it, but then the dead pixel thing happened when it launched and outraged everybody, and until recently there's been almost nothing worth playing on it. Plus, that horrendous "all i want for christmas is a psp" fake-commercial really turned me off - even now I've got that fucking song stuck in my head.

I've seen people playing it on the subway and I'm always curious to see it in action, and yet I never really get that good a look; display units at stores are generally useless, since they're (a) never turned on or (b) playing something I don't care about.

There are other games that I'm curious to check out...
  • Lumines (although I've already got it on XBLA, and I'm not very good at it)
  • the 3d Castlevania game
  • Wipeout / Wipeout Pure
  • flOw
  • Jean D'arc
  • Disgaea (or however you spell it)
...but I'm not, like, foaming at the mouth for any of them, and I'm sure I can track them down on GameFly.

If I have time tonight, I'll try to have a full rundown for tomorrow.

No comments: