Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Sony: I bitch, I praise

This post was originally intended to be a mini-rant about Sony's ass-backwards approach to online interactivity, but then I glanced at my RSS feed and they came out with a press release that suddenly makes the PSP instantly relevant again. So: toh-may-toh, toh-mah-toh. I say: why not write about both?

When I bought my Blackberry Storm, it came with a bluetooth headset that I never use - until I realized that I could use it as a headset for the PS3. I don't really do a lot of online gaming on the PS3, but I do like communicating with the few PS3-owning friends I have, and chatting is easier through speech than with the clunky text interface, and I wasn't about to spend $50 on a Sony headset or the official chat-pad thing which, speaking of being ass-backwards, look at that thing. So a free solution to the problem seemed awfully appealing...

... except that the process of getting a headset hooked up to the PS3 is not at all intuitive and there was a key thing that I apparently wasn't doing, and I only figured out what I missed through extensive google searches. (It's not just enough that you pair your device; you then must dig into another sub-menu on the dashboard and flip a few switches, and I'd never have figured that out on my own.) A lot of fanboys like to point out that PSN is free while XBL is a paid service, but I say you get what you pay for; if you want to use a 360 headset, you put the plug into the controller and that's it. In any event, I was eventually able to get my headset to work, and so I was finally able to talk with my friend as she kicked my ass in Street Fighter 4 yet again, and I was able to send the game back to Gamefly with a clear conscience, knowing I had tried my best.

As for the PSP news, peep this MTV Multiplayer article for the full press release; the important PSP releases are as follows:
  • LittleBigPlanet (sounds like a port, with added levels and features)
  • Assassin's Creed (and a themed bundle)
  • Rock Band Unplugged (I'm actually pretty curious about this - it'll have its own wi-fi store)
  • Madden 10 and Tiger Woods 10 (meh)
  • MotorStorm Arctic Edge
  • Dissidia Final Fantasy
It's maybe not as jaw-dropping when you look at it like that, but this is a hell of a lot better than the nothing that's been the PSP's status quo for the last year or so. I'd certainly like to see a new GTA title on the PSP (as would lots of people, it would seem).

No comments: