Friday, February 20, 2009

Weekend Recap: Reality Sinks In edition

I'd thought I'd handled my 360's recent death rather calmly, all things considered; it happened the night before The Lost & Damned came out, so I already knew I wouldn't be playing it - I imagine I'd have been a lot more pissed off if I'd bought the DLC and then found out my 360 was fucked. And, really, this was a perfect time to try out the PS3 as my main console, and if nothing else this gave me a lot more opportunity to spend with FF7.

Problem is, I was expecting Microsoft to send me a shipping box for my 360 when I did my online support request, and as it turned out, I had accidentally selected the "No, thanks, I'll send it myself" option, which I didn't actually find out until Saturday night, after the local UPS store closed. So I basically wasted a week of repair time that I didn't even know I had. And now, well, I'm really missing my 360.

I certainly had stuff to play for the PS3 this weekend - I downloaded Noby Noby Boy, already this year's front-runner for the coveted "What The Hell Is This Thing?" award, and my rental copies of Valkyria Chronicles and Street Fighter 4 had arrived.

I can't really talk about Noby Noby Boy, because I have no idea what it is. I was certainly excited to check it out, as my love of all things Katamari runs deep, but NNB is just plain weird. I'm not even sure it's a game, to be honest, nor am I sure what exactly it is you're supposed to do. Then again, the game's creator doesn't really know what it is, either, so I guess you get what you pay for.

Valkyria Chronicles is a sort-of strategy RPG, and while I can appreciate that it's doing something new, I really don't like strategy RPGs, and after finishing the first mission I already knew I wasn't going to like it. So there's that.

Then there's Street Fighter 4. I feel terrible for not really liking it. I feel pretty confident in calling it the 2nd best fighting game ever made (next to Soul Calibur), and it certainly brought me back to my childhood years in which I'd routinely beat the hell out of my younger brother on the Sega Genesis version of SF2. But the truth is that I think I'm kinda done with fighting games; I have neither the skill with which to be even marginally successful in online play, nor the patience to learn. I tried Arcade mode on Very Easy with 3 or 4 different characters and I couldn't even make it past Round 3 with any of them. I tried the Trial mode, which ostensibly teaches you all the moves, but it's done pretty badly and the nomenclature they use to describe moves went way over my head.

I can totally respect why other people are going apeshit for it, and I really wish I felt the same way. I suppose if my wife were interested in mashing buttons with me, I'd probably put in a bit more effort into getting better at it, but she is most definitely not interested, and so it'll be going back later this week. I kinda want to give it one more go online before I send it back, though, if only to see if I can get my headset to work (in advance of Killzone 2's eventual release).

No comments: